Nitrous Oxide is a non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous Oxide has been a primary means of very light sedation in dentistry for many years. Our clinical staff is fully certified in the safe use of Nitrous Oxide. Patients with dental anxiety sometimes choose this option to make their visit more comfortable. Nitrous oxide is a safe choice to help reduce patient anxiety in the dental office.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation properties develop.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
You should not utilize Nitrous Oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or are pregnant. Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, a cold or other difficulties with breathing.
We’re Here To Help!
Contat us with any questions or to schedule an appointment!